*We may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through recommended links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Years ago, I learned to make my own laundry soap by grating bars of Fels Naphtha and melting it. I still have a bunch of these bars waiting on stand-by, if needed, for future use, but my go-to homemade laundry soap recipe has definitely changed.
The commercial brand that I typically buy is ALL Free and Clear. ALL works out to be about .12c per load of laundry. Pretty cheap, right!? My homemade version is .04c per load! That’s literally a third of the cost and it’s all-natural and, best yet, when I buy a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s, a box of Borax and a box of washing soda, I have enough ingredients to make 32 gallons of laundry soap so it’s always ready in a pinch!
Let’s get started!
This is a liquid laundry soap, so for ease of use, it’s best to have some sort of pitcher to pour from. I picked up this beverage dispenser with a stand at a local store and it has worked great for this purpose! It holds two gallons.
You’ll need 1/4 Cup each of Borax and Washing Soda. Pour that into a pan and fill with enough water to cover the powder. Heat the mixture on medium low while whisking until the powder has dissolved. Remove from heat.
Whisk in 1/4 Cup of your choice of Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Soap. I chose unscented, but have used Rose, Almond and Citrus scents.
If possible, put your pitcher in its full-time location to fill. It will be heavy and hot so it will be better to not have to move it, if possible. Be careful!!
Pour your soap mixture into the dispenser and fill to the top with hot water while whisking gently.
Optional: Add in some essential oils! I really like this part. You choose what to add. I like lemongrass, lavender, lemon, geranium, Purify or OnGuard. I recommend using 30-40 drops of your choice of oil.
Use one cup of detergent per large load of laundry. This recipe is enough for 32 loads, takes mere minutes to make and costs a total of $1.22 for the whole jar full! Winning!
Homemade Laundry Soap
- 1 Pitcher
- 1/4 Cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1/4 Cup Borax
- 1/4 Cup Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap, liquid
- 30-40 Drops Essential oils, your choice
- In a pot, whisk together the Washing Soda and Borax with enough hot water to cover while heating on medium low on the stove, just until it is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in Castile Soap gently.
- Pour this mixture into your pitcher/container that you will use for dispensing the soap when using.
- Fill the container to the top slowly with hot water. If possible, fill your container in place as it will be hot and heavy to move! BE CAREFUL!!
- Add your choice of essential oils.
- Whisk gently.
- Use one cup of the soap per large load.